BLUFUS President Joe Biden has told Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida that the United States was ‘completely’ committed to defending Japan.
This article by Andrea Shalal and David Brunnstrom, writing for Reuters, makes the following points:
- Biden praised Tokyo's security build-up during a meeting in Washington this month.
- Japan's military build-up stems from mounting regional security threats from China, North Korea and Russia.
- Last month, Japan announced its biggest military build-up since World War Two, following seven decades of focusing on self-defence only.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Australia's 'indispensable' partnership with Japan could see it join AUKUS pact as strategic links grow | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- F-35B jets out of Japan make debut at Australia’s Pitch Black exercise | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JAN 2023 A stronger Japan defense posture is easier said than done—Japan Times
- JAN 2023 US, Japan unveil plans to strengthen the alliance—AP News