BLUFThe digital world has provided us with numerous opportunities; but living in a digital society comes with disadvantages too—and people need to be educated on the potential risks of the internet.
This article by Jess Conway, writing for Medium, makes the following points:
- The Good. More than ever, technology has been important in helping us stay engaged with friends and family—especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Bad. Digital home assistants are designed to make life easier by carrying out tasks, such as turning lights off, via voice control. However, there are concerns about privacy because these devices can record conversations, as well as our locations.
- The Good. People have the right to hold and express opinions. The internet provides an avenue to do this, as well as educate others.
- The Bad. Although freedom of speech is important, the internet provides an avenue for cyber bullying and hate speech.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- What Will the Future of the Internet Look Like? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Don’t Go Down the Rabbit Hole ------------ Critical thinking, as we’re taught to do it, isn’t helping in the fight against misinformation | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2020 Stop Using Alexa And Google Assistant Until You Change This—Forbes
- JAN 2022 The Pros and Cons of Social Networking—Lifewire
Source The Medium:
- Article Source: Medium
- Media Check: Medium - Media Bias Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- LEARNING OUTCOMES—RUNWAY | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)