BLUFSupporting Ukraine for roughly 5% of the U.S. annual military budget is in the US national interest as it is not only the morally right thing to do, but it reduces Russia's capability to wage conventional war in the future.
George Monastiriakos writing in 19FortyFive makes the following points:
- Biden’s leadership has encouraged Germany and Japan to increase military spending and, Sweden and Finland to join NATO.
- Unwavering support for Ukraine sends the message that the US will support its allies such as South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- RUSSIAN-UKRAINE CONFLICT—RAAF RUNWAY COLLECTION
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC.
References from the Web:
- DEC 2022 Remarks by President Biden and President Zelenskyy of Ukraine in Joint Press Conference-the White House
- DEC 2022 What Zelenskyy wants — but is unlikely to get — from Biden-Politico