BLUFIn the Korean War, the No. 77 Squadron RAAF initially flew Mustangs but upgraded to Meteor Mk 8s when faced with superior Soviet MiG-15s. Despite this, Meteors were outclassed, requiring a role shift to ground-attack duties. The Squadron accomplished nearly 19,000 sorties, downing five MiGs, but endured heavy losses.
- Mustangs were used initially but were technically outdated.
- Upgraded to Meteor Mk 8s to compete with superior MiG-15s.
- Meteors struggled against MiGs' superior speed, climbing rate, and high-altitude maneuverability.
- Squadron's role shifted to ground attacks due to Meteors' limitations.
- Despite achieving success, the Squadron suffered heavy losses.
- VIETNAM WAR COLLECTION | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- KOREAN AIR WAR COLLECTION | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- MILITARY HISTORY GENERAL ARTICLES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)